The award supports (cross-border teams of) professional journalists
and photographers who in their reporting go well beyond the clichés
often dominating Western perspectives on Eastern Europe.
A call for applications is annually issued in January, applications must be submitted by mid-April. Budget-based
funding is available to cover travel, research, production costs and
honoraria in all countries of the EaP, Western Balkans, South Caucasus,
Central Asia plus the Central-European EU member states. A wardees will be informed by end-June.
Who decides which projects will receive funding?
The decision on the award is taken by a jury composed of renowned journalists and representatives of Renovabis, Hoffnung für Osteuropa and n-ost. Legal recourse is excluded.
The decision is based on the following criteria:
- Relevance: Is the topic relevant to the current social and political debate?
- Originality: Is the topic completely new or being told from a new angle?
- Quality: Has the applicant already shown that he/she is capable of writing outstanding reportages?
- Appropriateness: Does the publication project justify the estimated costs?
What documents do I need to submit?
Please, send us
- an exposé (1-2 pages), explaining the relevance of your topic, your approach and how you plan to proceed in your work; ideally, you have already reached out to a German-language media that will publish your report. If you need support in finding a German co-author to facilitate publication in Germany, please contact Anneke Hudalla,
- a research and cost plan in the form,
- your cv in table form,
- a maximum of three already published work samples.
We will be happy to answer your questions: